Saturday, December 13, 2008

SKI TRIP

Ok. First I forgot to say that before I left for skiing I went to Abi's house in London for Thanksgiving dinner (on Sunday).  It was sooo nice of her family to have me and her mom even made homemade pumpkin pie. YUM.  Also got a tour of Harrow (really nice, famous boarding school) and saw Lord Byron's grave.

So skiing:
The bus there was about 17 hours but not too bad.  We took a ferry from England to France (saw a castle!) and drove forever up to the top of a mountain to a resort called Val Thorens in the Alps.  Our bus drivers were crazy and I was pretty sure I was going to die the entire way.  It was also very weird to be driving on the right side of the road in France.  I guess I've gotten used to seeing people drive on the left.  
I met the people I was going to be living with (6 girls from St. Annes) and they basically adopted me into their group for the week and were so kind.  Went skiing (took lessons, got moved up cause I was the best in the class...yeah.) Only had one wipe out in some off-piste powder, but it was only half my fault because my shins were hurting quite a lot and I couldn't turn left because it hurt too much to put pressure on my right leg.  So it was either fall off the cliff or bail.  I chose bail.  Mostly I skied with some kids from Cambridge who were all really fun and we were all about the same level skiing and had races and did little jumps.  Lots of fun.  
Ate mostly baguette and cheese the entire trip, or had free food from  the Varsity events.  Oxford and Cambridge had a slalom race...Oxford won.  Obviously.  Cambridge was not happy.  
Oh! Also went to a silent disco which was really fun and crazy!  Basically everyone gets a pair of headphones and you can listen to different DJs so you never have to listen to a song you don't like and when you take your head phones off it's really cool because people are singing to themselves and everyone is singing different songs.  CRAZY! 
I'm very tired now, so this post isn't as interesting as it could be, but alas.  The bus ride back took 22 hours because we had to go 2 hours out of the way to give one of the other coaches a spare part that they actually didn't need.  Boo.  And then we missed the ferry and had to wait another 2 hours.  Really long ride.  But I got a stamp from French customs!  No one else did cause they are all EU, but I am American.  Yay passport stamps!
And I am a brilliant skier now.  The end.
Pictures will soon be up, for real.  

No comments: