I can't believe it, but term is already halfway over! I only have 5 more essays to write, 4 more plays to read, and 3 more novels to read!!!! 5,4,3: how nice.
So middle of term and here are things I have done in Oxford:
-Been to The King's Arms and Turf Tavern, two pubs which are apparently essential to visit at least once (though, the first few weeks I only knew how to get to college because of its proximity to KA's. No joke, every one goes to pubs all the time here.)
-Seen Anna Popplewell
-Seen wizards
-Been to some clubs (Fuzzys, Lava Ignite, and some others that I don't know the names)
-Written 7 essays, read 5 novels and 3 plays
-Eaten Turkish Delight
-Gotten half kicked out of Christ Church
-Gone rowing
-Spent an hour in Blackwell (the bookstore with the most milage of book shelving in the world)
Well those are the things that I can think of right now, though I have done other things like exploring, going to restaurants, going to used book stores, and things of that nature.
As I said last post, Mark came to visit! And he just left a few hours ago. We made lots of good dinners again, and my friend Abi came over and had salmon and pilaf with us. Yum.
Most excitingly, we went to Stratford-upon-Avon, which you may know is where Shakespeare was born and lived. We took a train out of Oxford Saturday morning, and then explored Shakespeare's home. It is a very quaint little town with little shops and markets everywhere. We went to all the Shakespeare houses: Shakespeare's birthplace, his daughter's house, his granddaughter's house, and his wife's childhood home. All the houses had these beautiful gardens (presumably), but they were all dead because it is almost winter here! Don't know if I mentioned it, but it snowed the other day. Weird. Also saw Shakespeare's grave.
After exploring all of Stratford and the river (really pretty), we came back to Oxford. Unfortunately, our train left at 7:50, but everything in the town closed at 5, so we had to sit in the train station and wait for a while, but I got a lot of reading done, so it wasn't altogether bad.
So that was basically the weekend, and besides that I spent some time studying and such. Oh, and I went rowing on Sunday, so now I guess I am doing crew. I just got back from my tutorial, which went surprisingly well. I read North and South for this week, which I found not at all enjoyable, so it was very difficult to write about seeing as I hardly read the book besides looking at the words on the page. But as I do with any essay when I can't think of anything to write about, I make some connection to the Divine Comedy, which is what I did. And my tutor thoroughly enjoyed it and gave me my best score yet! Hooray! Also today I got 5 giant apples for 1 quid, which is like a 30 cents each, which may not sound that cheap, but it is. Because usually they cost a heck of a lot more. Yay for finding open air markets! Also got some turkish delight. Fantastic. AND the library had the books and DVDs I need!!!! Which never happens. YAY! So today was overall a great day, besides that Mark went back to Paris.
Who knows how these pictures will appear, but here are some pictures:
No comments:
Post a Comment