Welp, it's been a pretty busy start to term (actually, I'm already halfway done!) so I haven't had much time to write anything. I'd really like to take some time eventually to write a nice post about the Italy adventure, but now is not that time.
Now is the time to write about term so far.
So term. It's been going well. I am taking Victorian History (which is proving to be more reading than I expected) and Dickens (which is proving to be just as much reading as I expected...a lot). So I've been reading a lot and writing a lot.
I also have been going to a ton of formals.
First week I went to formal formal, which is a black tie dinner and it was delicious! Then later in the week there was Burns' Supper in honor of Scottish poet Robert Burns. Pretty interesting. There was a bagpipe player and a whole ceremony celebrating haggis (wikipedia it...) and one of the Scottish students said a Scottish prayer and read Ode to Haggis and it was a celebration. Haggis is gross. They give you a shot of whiskey to wash it down haha.
Then I went to a formal at St. Anne's with the girls I met on the ski trip. It was a lot different than Mansfield's formals because it was less traditional, but it was still really nice and the food was great! They had cheesecake for dessert. I was happy.
Mark visited this past week. He was supposed to go to Scotland, but there was a 'blizzard' and all the public transportation was cancelled, so he hung around here for a while whilst I studied. But it snowed! I'm pretty sure it was Hogwarts/Narnia/Middle Earth. But the sidewalks were very icy and dangerous. I survived without falling. YAY!
We DID get to go to London on Saturday (even though London was complaining about snow.... there was NO snow there) and we saw Emily Igo! Then we went to Evensong at Westminster Abbey. Free admission and a nice little choir performance. It was actually a very nice boys and men choir that sang all the psalms. Then we walked around and saw Parliament and went to see Spring Awakening. It was better in NY, but alas.
While Mark was here I wrote 3 essays, so that kind of stinks for him. But he got to walk around a lot and see colleges that I've never seen. And we went to a pub called The White Horse for lunch and hidden in the walls is a witches broom! COOL!
Was this worth an update? Probably not. But I know you were worried that I never made it back from Italy, especially as my last post said that we didn't have a way back. Actually, no one seemed that concerned.
2 comments:
I actually have had haggis - it is not my favorite - sort of tastes like a bad pate. I had mine at a formal dinner sponsored by the Royal Bank of Scotland and though I don't remembrer, it may have been a Burn's dinner. I do remember that anyone employed by the bank, had to wear traditional scottish kilts, etc. There were hundreds employees there and it was a huge event that was very entertaining. FYI
Mom
I've also had haggis, at a place called Culloden House in Inverness. That's the place Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed the night before the Battle of Culloden Moor, where he was defeated by the Duke of Cumberland, virtually ending the Jacobite Rebellion. We actually stayed in his room at the House.
I rather liked the haggis, probably because I didn't know what it was until afterward.
You should hook up with the father of Julie's friend, Caroline, next time you're in London. He loves to show off Dickens' desk chair, which is still in use.
Zach has a new movie recommendation, if it's still playing in the UK, something called "Inkheart." It's Harry Potter--ish. Zach now has the book and has tried reading it a couple of times.
Post a Comment